The recipe below is listed in 2 parts (the basic dough and the complete recipe).
Basic Flatbread Dough
Makes 6 servings
This is the base dough used for my Flatbread recipes. This makes enough dough to make 2 13x5 flatbreads. You can make them both now OR freeze ½ for later.
1 cup warm water (110º to 115º F)
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp active dry yeast
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper
1 ¾ whole wheat flour
¾ to 1½ all-purpose flour
Olive oil non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, stir together the warm water and sugar until sugar dissolves. Stir in yeast. Let stand about 10 minutes or until foamy. Stir in oil, salt and pepper. Stir in whole wheat flour and as much of the all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in remaining all-purpose flour for about 6 minutes. Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1-1¼ hours).
- Punch dough down. Divide into 2 equal parts.
|Dough before toppings are added.|
Chicken Alfredo Topping Ingredients (for 1 flatbread):
¼ tsp Italian seasoning
1-2 pinches salt
1-2 pinches black pepper
1-2 gloves garlic, minced
½ cup light alfredo (I used jarred Ragu Light Alfredo)
3 oz. of grilled boneless/skinless chicken breast, sliced
1-2 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
¼ cup 2% shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)
2 tbsp snipped fresh basil
- Prepare flatbread dough (directions above)
- Preheat oven to 450º F. Use a baking stone for best results.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 portion of the dough into a 13x5-inch rectangle. Transfer to baking stone.
- Top dough with salt, pepper, and minced garlic.
- Spread light alfredo sauce evenly over dough
- Arrange tomato slices on top.
- Arrange grilled chicken on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until flatbread is browned on edges.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with fresh basil.
Hot out of the oven!