So even though these can be cook in the microwave or the stove top, I just had to try them in one of my baked oatmeal recipes. I made Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal using Coach's Oats and it turned out wonderful! The texture was great (wasn't mushy at all) and the flavor was amazing!
|Baked Apple Pie Oatmeal using Coach's Oats|
Old Weights Watchers Points: 2 points per serving
Filtrete Water Station
I was excited when I was contacted by the 3M company to see if I would be interested in reviewing their Filtrete Water Station. We are a family that goes through 60+ gallons of bottle water per month. That's a LOT of bottles! Even though we recycle the bottles, you can imagine how the cost adds up! So when I was approached with the opportunity to try a product that could save us money, I couldn't pass it up.Facts about the Filtrete Water Station:
- Fill one, two, three or all four bottles at a time.
- The water filter reduces chlorine taste and sediment from tap water to improve taste, odor and clarity of your water.
- Full bottles can be stored in the refrigerator.
- Extra bottles can be purchased separately.
- Includes 4 reusable grab & go bottles.
- Bottles are dishwasher safe and BPA-free.
- When bottles are removed from the Water Station, the docking station's valves prevent leaks, so no spills!
- Unique strap for on-the-go carrying features a leak-proof cap.
- Bottles are top rack dishwasher safe.
- Regular use can eliminate the cost and waste of up to 3,000 disposable water bottles per year.
- Filters last up to 100 gallons, or for about 3 months.
- Built-in Filter Change Indicator lets you know when it's time for a replacement.
- Recyclable filter housing is the same #2 plastic as a typical milk jug.
For more information about the Filtrete™ Water Station and other Filtrete™ water filtration products, such as our under-sink water filtration systems visit Filtrete.com/water.
With Super Bowl Sunday just around the corner, I am getting our game day menu ready, BUT unlike years past when we sat on the couch and stuffed our faces with fattening foods, I am going to be serving up healthier options! It will be just the hubby and I and the kids, so our menu is small and simple but still full of yummy food!For more Healthy Super Bowl Recipes and Tips check out Hungry Girl and 6 Healthy Snacks and Recipes for the Super-Duper Bowl
Fresh Tomato Basil Flatbread was such a hit with my family, that I decided to try another combination and this one turned out so good.
The recipe below is listed in 2 parts (the basic dough and the complete recipe).
Basic Flatbread Dough
Makes 6 servings
This is the base dough used for my Flatbread recipes. This makes enough dough to make 2 13x5 flatbreads. You can make them both now OR freeze ½ for later.
1 cup warm water (110º to 115º F)
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp active dry yeast
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ground pepper
1 ¾ whole wheat flour
¾ to 1½ all-purpose flour
Olive oil non-stick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, stir together the warm water and sugar until sugar dissolves. Stir in yeast. Let stand about 10 minutes or until foamy. Stir in oil, salt and pepper. Stir in whole wheat flour and as much of the all-purpose flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in remaining all-purpose flour for about 6 minutes. Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1-1¼ hours).
- Punch dough down. Divide into 2 equal parts.
|Dough before toppings are added.|
Chicken Alfredo Topping Ingredients (for 1 flatbread):
¼ tsp Italian seasoning
1-2 pinches salt
1-2 pinches black pepper
1-2 gloves garlic, minced
½ cup light alfredo (I used jarred Ragu Light Alfredo)
3 oz. of grilled boneless/skinless chicken breast, sliced
1-2 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
¼ cup 2% shredded cheese (I used mozzarella)
2 tbsp snipped fresh basil
- Prepare flatbread dough (directions above)
- Preheat oven to 450º F. Use a baking stone for best results.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1 portion of the dough into a 13x5-inch rectangle. Transfer to baking stone.
- Top dough with salt, pepper, and minced garlic.
- Spread light alfredo sauce evenly over dough
- Arrange tomato slices on top.
- Arrange grilled chicken on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until flatbread is browned on edges.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with fresh basil.
Hot out of the oven!
I LOVE blueberries and normally eat them fresh but decided to test out a recipe with them. I am glad I did, because this one turned out so yummy! The blueberries have a sweet/tartness to them and the vanilla flavoring adds a hint of "muffin like" taste to it. Yumminess!
Baked Blueberry Muffin Oatmeal
Makes 1 serving
1/2 cup dry oats (NOT the instant kind)
1/8 tsp baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 cup water
3 tbsp liquid egg whites
1 tbsp sugar-free vanilla coffee flavoring (I use Archer Farms from Target OR Torani)*
1-2 packets of splenda*
1/4 cup fresh blueberries (you could probably use frozen as well)
* A note on sweetness: I'm use to eating my oatmeal plain! I've come to like it that way, so all of my baked oatmeals are not overpowering with sweetness! They may or may not be sweet enough for you. The best part about it, is you can adjust the sweetness to your liking. I'd just add a lil at time until it's as sweet as you like it. And of course you can use all natural sweeteners like honey or raw sugar instead. In both cases remember that the nutritional values may change anytime you make a change!
Mix all of the above together in a small oven-safe container and bake at 350º for 35 minutes.
Total Fat 1.2g
Total Carbohydrate 18.9g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Linking this post to: Slightly Indulgent Tuesday - Be sure and check out all the wonderful healthy recipes listed!