The bread looks and smells really good. I can't wait to have a slice after dinner tonight. I did taste a little bit and it taste good too. It's not a really sweet bread tho, so if you like your bread really sweet you might want to add some more sugar.
Normally I would put nuts in my banana bread but my kids didn't want any nuts this time so we left them out.
I took a regular banana bread recipe and just made some changes to it to make it healthier. I used whole wheat flour in place of some of the all-purpose flour, I added ground flaxseed, used egg whites in place of whole eggs, used no-sugar applesauce in place of the oil and lowered the amount of sugar added. I'm calling it "Better For You" Banana Bread!
It's really low in calories and fat.
"Better For You" Banana Bread
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 egg whites, beaten
1 cup banana, mashed (2 medium bananas)
1/4 cup no-sugar applesauce
1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease an 8x4 inch loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, stir together flours, flaxseed, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
3. In separate bowl, combine egg whites, bananas and applesauce; stir until combined.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until completely moisten.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
7. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool before slicing.
I bought some blueberries the other day and I think I may make another loaf of this bread in a few days and use the blueberries and call it "Better For You" Banana-Blueberry Bread. HMMMMM sounds good!
Here's to a healthier you,