Makes 8 Servings
1 pound extra lean ground beef (I use 96% lean)
1 large carrot, shredded (about 1 cup)
One 16-ounce low sodium jar salsa
One 15 1/2-ounce can low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
One 10-ounce bag frozen corn kernels, thawed (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Five 8-inch whole wheat flour tortillas, cut in half
One 16-ounce container lowfat cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups preshredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook the meat and carrot in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up the large pieces, until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add the salsa, black beans, corn, chili powder, and cumin to the skillet and stir to combine.
- To assemble the lasagna, arrange a third (about 2 cups) of the meat mixture in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or dish. Layer half the tortillas over the meat, allowing them to overlap. Spoon half of the cottage cheese and 1/2 cup of the Cheddar cheese over the tortillas and spread evenly.
- Place 2 more cups of meat mixture over the cottage cheese. Layer with the remaining tortillas and cottage cheese. End with the meat mixture.
- Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and bake uncovered until the cheese melts and the lasagna is heated through, about 25 minutes.